5-in-1 Thunderbolt 3 adapter solution allows you to connect up to two 4K displays, two USB storage and desktop accessory devices and a Gigabit Ethernet network via one integrated cable.
OWC®; a leading zero emissions Mac and PC technology company and one of the world’s most respected providers of Memory, External Drives, SSDs, Mac & PC docking solutions and performance upgrade kits announces that their new Thunderbolt™ 3 mini Dock is available to order now and will begin shipping the week of July 27th. Smartphone-sized with no AC adapter needed, the mini Dock is the ultimate tool for on-the-go and desktop use.
Encounter the Best of Thunderbolt
The OWC Thunderbolt 3 mini Dock harnesses the full potential of your Mac or PC’s Thunderbolt 3 port, with fast data transfers, dual 4K display support, and small device charging power creating a hub of powerful connections. Built by the world’s largest producer of Thunderbolt devices, OWC follows the highest standards in engineering and manufacturing, so you can use the Thunderbolt 3 mini Dock with full confidence in its compatibility and precision performance.
Experience What You’ve Been Missing
The OWC Thunderbolt 3 mini Dock effectively utilizes your computer’s Thunderbolt 3 40Gb/s capability to provide support for two displays up to 4096 x 2160 4K @ 60Hz without impacting performance. Transform your notebook’s single display into a three-screen viewing space or instantly support two displays on your desktop and increase work productivity with extended or mirrored modes. Experience crystal-clear, vibrant 4K video and high-fidelity audio in gaming and uncompressed video streaming of high action sports and movies. Whatever your display desire, the OWC Thunderbolt 3 mini Dock helps you see what you’ve been missing.
Connections Are the Key to Success
Making the right connections is critical to business success. Through its USB 3 and USB 2 ports, the OWC Thunderbolt 3 mini Dock opens your world to convenience and functionality wherever you’re working. Control any workspace with the ease of a full-sized keyboard or mouse. Backup work to an external drive. Import files from a flash drive, card reader, or optical drive. Utilize a printer and charge small mobile devices. All these connections lead to workflow success, no matter where that work is taking place.
Your Partner in Productivity
On-the-go or on a desktop, the OWC Thunderbolt 3 mini Dock is the ultimate all-in-one portable dock. Compact-sized like a smartphone and with no AC adapter needed, this “kitchen sink of connectivity” expands port-limited Thunderbolt 3 Macs and PCs with five additional ports.
Stream, Share, Connect – Reliably
A must-have for the mobile professional, the OWC Thunderbolt 3 mini Dock offers a Gigabit Ethernet port for a faster and more reliable internet connection. Users will relish a speedy server connection, uninterrupted downloads, and reliable file transfers while saying goodbye to aggravating, low-quality public Wi-Fi connections.
• See a bigger picture: connect two displays with uncompressed video resolutions up to 4096 x 2160@60Hz via two HDMI 2.0 ports
• Full-stream ahead: HDCP 2.2 compatible for effortless streaming of 4K UHD content
• Hear it all clearly: supports HDMI precision multi-channel audio such as LCPM, DTS, and Dolby Digital
• Secure and stable internet access: one Gigabit Ethernet port with PXE Boot and Wake-on-LAN support replaces a slow or unreliable Wi-Fi connection
• Fast file transfers: connect a portable drive, flash drive, or card reader via one USB 3 5Gb/s port1
• Stay charged: charge small mobile devices such as wireless earbuds, smartwatches, and most smartphones via USB 3 port.2
• Enjoy convenience: connect a keyboard or mouse via one USB 2 port
• Take anywhere and in-between: bus-powered smartphone-sized 5.1-ounce aluminum housing with integrated 7.2-inch Thunderbolt 3 cable
• Thunderbolt certified: Works with macOS and Windows machines
Be the Best You Can Be Anywhere
With huge benefits to every workflow, the OWC Thunderbolt 3 mini Dock is small enough to fit easily on a desktop or pop into a gear bag for remote use. The lightweight, bus-powered aluminum housing sports a 7.2-inch tethered Thunderbolt 3 cable so there is nothing to lose or forget. And with HDMI and USB support, no agonizing over which device to disconnect from a port-limited machine…the OWC Thunderbolt 3 mini Dock truly lets you work at your best, anywhere.
Disconnect in One Click
OWC Dock Ejector software safely disconnects drives connected to the OWC Thunderbolt 3 mini Dock in a single click. Designed by OWC hardware and software engineers, Dock Ejector ensures all data is written before disconnection, saving time and protecting against data loss. Use it to move quickly between workstations and get the most out of your OWC Thunderbolt 3 mini Dock.
Your complete source for connectivity
The new OWC Thunderbolt 3 mini Dock joins OWC’s comprehensive line of docks, hubs and adapters which are part of the largest selection of Thunderbolt devices you can find. The mini Dock joins the full-sized Thunderbolt 3 Dock and Thunderbolt 3 Pro Dock; the storage included Mercury Elite Dock; and the OWC USB-C Travel Dock, recently named to Ars Technica’s Best of List for 2019. OWC is excited to be offering yet another right-fit option to users with the new Thunderbolt 3 mini Dock, unleashing the power of Thunderbolt for more users everywhere.
OWC, Trusted by Pros & Enthusiasts the World Over
OWC builds hardware to the highest standards of reliability and performance. Because 100% reliability is always our goal, all hardware is rigorously quality tested and backed by a 2 Year OWC Limited Warranty and award-winning, US-based customer support.
The OWC Thunderbolt 3 mini Dock is available to order now for $119.00 at MacSales.com. The Dock will begin shipping the week of July 27th.
The show must go on! In lieu of live events, ZEISS is launching a Virtual Cine Expo July 15-17, 2020. The online trade show booth allows visitors to meet with ZEISS representatives, test new products via interactive content, and attend presentations led by cinematographers and industry experts.
Join Sony DMPC‘s monthly Behind the Camera Training Series, open to film and TV industry professionals who want to learn and discuss Sony’s tools for digital cinematography.
This FREE training series is designed to educate, inspire, and answer questions for film and video professionals across the industry. Trainings are one hour, include presentation and live Q&A, and will take place the first Tuesday of every month between June and December, as follows:
Tues. Jun 2, 2020 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM PDT – Sony VENICE & FX9: Wireless Remote, XDCAM Air and Auto-Proxy Upload to Ci
Tues. Jul 7, 2020 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM PDT – Sony VENICE Fun Facts: Cache Record, Flip and Flop, EI changes, RIALTO
Tues. Aug 4, 2020 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM PDT – Sony VENICE & FX9: HDR and SDR on set monitoring (LUTs/High/Low Key)
Tues. Sep 1, 2020 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM PDT – Sony VENICE NEW Technicolor Look Library and Sony .art explained
Tues. Oct 6, 2020 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM PDT – Sony VENICE Version 6.0 Beta Test Run
Tues. Nov 3, 2020 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM PST – Sony VENICE 6.0 & FX9 2.0: A great multi-cam combo
Tues. Dec 1, 2020 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM PST – Sony VENICE Discussion with Special Guest Cinematographer (TBA)
Details on registration at: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/7270687071988792589?source=LAPPG
June 5th – 7th | Friday, 3pm PT – Sunday, 10pm PT
NewFilmmakers Los Angeles (NFMLA) showcases and champions emerging filmmakers and diverse storytellers from around the world. In response to the COVID-19 crisis, they’ve moved our programming to virtual platforms. This includes the NFMLA Monthly Film Festival, now powered by Seed&Spark. This edition will include short and feature film programs, Q&A’s, panels and selections from our InFocus initiative which combats the lack of diversity in media.
On June 5th, they’ll be hosting three panels. They’re listed below.
- NFMLA and Pipelines Panel – Studio,
- Network and Commercial Opportunities - Panel + Q&A | Diversifying Your Talent Pool
- NFMLA Panel | Breaking Into Episodic TV Writing
On June 6th, they’ll be hosting our InFocus: Female Cinema Film Festival, which includes two shorts programs rich with a variety of stories, genres and perspectives from female filmmakers, along with Romance Analyst, an exciting new feature by writer-director Rachel Wortell.
On June 7th, their InFocus will be Asian Cinema with a pair of shorts programs featuring work by talented Asian and Asian-American directors, including three world premieres. The day’s programming concludes with polyamorous dramedy First Blush, the feature film debut of director Victor Neumark.
Each screening will be followed by live Q&A’s via Zoom. Moderators include Emily V Gordon (co-writer of The Big Sick) and Jeff Yang (Journalist at CNN and Head of Global Futures).
For more information and to purchase tickets, visit: https://www.seedandspark.com/festivals/nfmla
OWC Receives Gold from American Business Awards for the ThunderBay 4 mini and Mercury Elite Pro Dock
Tech trailblazer also takes bronze for the Accelsior 4M2
OWC®; a leading zero emissions Mac and PC technology company and one of the world’s most respected providers of Memory, External Drives, SSDs, Mac & PC docking solutions and performance upgrade kits, will be presented two Gold Stevie® Awards from the American Business Awards® (ABA) for their ThunderBay 4 mini Thunderbolt 3 and Mercury Elite Pro Dock. A virtual award ceremony will be held during an online presentation being held on August 5th.
OWC’s ThunderBay 4 mini Thunderbolt 3 SSD and HDD storage solution is the 2020 Gold winner in the Hardware – Storage category, and OWC’s Mercury Elite Pro Dock dual-drive RAID Thunderbolt 3 docking station is the 2020 Gold winner in the Hardware – Computer category. OWC also will receive a Bronze award for the Accelsior 4M2 PCIe M.2 NVMe SSD Storage Solution in the Hardware – Storage category.
The American Business Awards are the U.S.A.’s premier business awards program. All organizations operating in the U.S.A. are eligible to submit nominations – public and private, for-profit and non-profit, large and small. Nicknamed the Stevies for the Greek word meaning “crowned,” the Gold Stevie Award has been granted for high achievement in business to organizations and individuals in more than 60 countries since 2002.
“The entire team at OWC is excited to receive three Stevies from the American Business Awards for 2020,” said OWC Founder & CEO Larry O’Connor. “We are extremely proud of creating and producing a complete line of technology products that allow our customers to easily stay connected, especially during this time, and to not only expand their current technology, but to keep their content and creations stored safely for years to come. We are grateful to the judges for their consideration, and to our customers everywhere for their ongoing support.”
Regarding the Mercury Elite Pro Dock, judges offered this praise:
• “The OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dock appears to be a complete solution to help organize digital life. The product provides a wide variety of ports and options to its users. 4K Monitor support is something new in the market and very useful. Support for both Mac and Windows are definitely a plus.”
• “Good job in designing all-in-one inclusive dock that has several extensible options. In particular the flexibility in pre-configured RAID controller.”
• “…the product targets people who are managing, editing, and developing video and other high definition files requiring both high capacity and fast transfer requirements…”
Regarding the ThunderBay 4 mini Thunderbolt 3, judges’ acclaim included:
• “OWC delivers workflow solutions perfectly tailored for any project.”
• “This ThunderBay hardware provides many robust features: No additional drives needed, easy plug & play, faster than AppleRaid, data reliability.”
• “Great storage solution for a niche category, softRaid features are promising.”
Regarding the Accelsior 4M2, judges’ comments included:
• “What else can we say. When you engineer to win, the proof is in the speed.”
• “4M2 Adapter Card has some really nice features such as harnesses the power of M.2 NVMe technology to achieve breakthroughs in large format video editing, VR/AR/MR environments, and extreme gaming. This is really nice to see in an adapter card.”
• “Great way to increase efficiency and boost up computer.”
The American Business Awards also feature a People’s Choice Award component, in which anyone can vote by clicking the links for the following products:
• OWC ThunderBay 4 mini, Thunderbolt
• OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dock
• OWC Accelsior 4M2 Adapter Card
All OWC products can be found on their e-commerce site at: www.macsales.com.
From the comfort of our homes, ZEISS will host a special virtual event with distinguished Director of Photography Nancy Schreiber, ASC on Friday, May 29, 12:00pm PDT.
Sign up for this live chat with Nancy, where they’ll discuss her process for Mapplethorpe in-depth. Learn how she approached the creation of “the look” for this indie darling, which was captured on Kodak film using an ARRI 416 and ZEISS Super Speed lenses.
As a special treat, participants will also get an exclusive sneak peek at her upcoming series P-Valley, arriving to Starz this July! During this Ask Me Anything style session, viewers are encouraged to interact with Nancy and ask for advice on advancing their craft.
How Do You Sign Up?
They’re streaming this event on Zoom. Please download the app then follow these instructions carefully:
• Register below through Eventbrite
• First 300 people to sign up will be accepted. Recorded session will be distributed at a later date.
• A Zoom link will be emailed to ticket holders on the day of the event. Please check your spam folder for Eventbrite reminders.
Now, head to our Eventbrite page and secure your spot today!
The 41st Annual Telly Awards Honors Winners Sony Music, Partizan, HBO Latin America, ESPN Films, BBC, iHeart Media, Narratively Creative, Warner Bros., and Disney
COVID-19 content creativity takes center stage as CBS Interactive is named ‘Telly Company of the Year’ for second year in a row
The Telly Awards, the world’s largest honor for video and television content across all screens, has announced this year’s winners, including Jeff Buckley’s “Sky Blue Skin” music video from Sony Music Entertainment, Partizan’s Hewlett Packard “Print the Holidays” Christmas commercial (helmed by French director Michel Gondry), and the exciting psychological deepdive “Do We Have Free Will?” from BBC Reels, as well as a short branded documentary from Square. Under this year’s “Telly Awards Winners Tell Great Stories” theme, standouts encompass directors, editors, animators, producers, technologists, and more across a wide range of industries, company sizes, and regions including Viacom Velocity, Autodesk, HBO Latin America, Adult Swim, Condé Nast, BBC, CNN, Fast Company, Bone+Gold, and Beauregard Media, along with international work from the likes of Culture Trip and Christie’s Auction House (United Kingdom), Taxi (Australia), Al Jazeera (Qatar), and FJ Amsterdam (The Netherlands).
Founded in 1979, the Telly Awards honors video and television made for all screens and is judged by the Telly Award Judging Council, a group of leading video and television experts from some of the most prestigious companies in entertainment, publishing, advertising, and emerging technology.
View all of the winners of The 41st Telly Awards at www.tellyawards.com/winners.
Additionally, the Telly Awards is once again spotlighting years of achievement in multi-platform narratives by naming CBS Interactive as the ‘Telly Company of the Year.’ A leader in pioneering insightful and inspiring video content online and off, properties such as 60 Minutes Overtime on CBS News and The Late Show with Stephen Colbert along with branded content for the likes of Google, Oculus Quest, and Toyota perfectly exemplify this year’s theme celebrating the inspiring power of storytelling.
“Our work exists to highlight and honor exemplary storytelling across all screens,” explains Telly Awards Managing Director Sabrina Dridje. “And now is a more important time than ever to give a platform to those creators bringing us global stories. Last season, we were blown away by work that highlighted social injustice and celebrated diverse work cultures, including pieces that showed us the excellent work being done by humanitarian groups around the world and international communities striving for more equal playing fields for the marginalized. As our season came to a close during the pandemic, however, we were equally impressed by the work that was being produced in this difficult climate to continue to highlight stories that otherwise would not find an audience.”
The diverse array of this year’s winners speaks to the continued growth in creative approaches to the rising digital video production, storytelling, and distribution landscape. To continue broadening its reach across social and digital video artists and spaces, the Telly Awards has expanded its industry partnerships to include VidCon and Social Media Week. This year’s content was judged by a panel of the most diverse and elite group of television and video industry leaders in the awards’ history, including HP Global Head of Virtual Reality Joanna Popper, Vice President of Production at Complex Networks David Weinstein, and Edelman Creative Newsroom Director Annie Granatstein.
Building on the categories of years past, the 41st Telly Awards has added a suite of new ‘Immersive & Mixed Reality’ categories. Winners in this suite include “Star Wars: 5G Sith Jet Trooper” from immersive media company RYOT and “Bonfire” an interactive film voiced by comedian Ali Wong, from VR animation company Baobab Studios. Additionally, in order to better celebrate the increase in social video and documentary work that addresses global issues, two new categories — ‘Social Impact’ and ‘Diversity & Inclusion’ — were also added.
When the COVID-19 pandemic hit, many pieces dealing with the fallout of the crisis were submitted, spanning fully animated explainer videos, stunning drone footage of empty cities, and a heartfelt and inspiring choreographed Zoom performance from The Juilliard School. The latter features over 100+ of the school’s alumni, including legendary musician Yo-Yo Ma, performing “Bolero” utilizing their unique talents to showcase the incredible power of art to draw people together, even in a time of unprecedented separation.
To further celebrate storytelling across all screens, The Telly Awards also ran the annual ‘Film & Video Night’ screening series throughout the 41st season — curated from past winners, judges, and partners. Programming featured standout work from the likes of CNN’s Great Big Story, droga5, Square, WeTransfer, RadicalMedia, and independent artist and animator Andrew Myers with hugely successful screenings in New York, Toronto, London, and Amsterdam. As the COVID-19 pandemic began to unfold, the Tellys pivoted to share this work online in the form of a Facebook Watch Party, safely continuing to bring engaging and relevant content to the community it serves. All of this work can still be enjoyed on the Telly Awards Facebook page.
41st Annual Telly highlights from this year’s winners include:
Immersersive & Mixed Reality
● RYOT won for “Star Wars: 5G Sith Jet Trooper” in Use of Interactivity
● Baobab Studios won for “Bonfire” in Animation
● Al Jazeera Media Network, Digital Division won for “Still Here” in Social Impact
● Dell Technologies won for Alienware “Unleash The Power” VR Experience in Use of Interactivity
● Narratively Creative won for “The Story of Your Name” in Branded Content: Fully Animated Piece
● Partizan won for Hewlett Packard’s “Print the Holidays” in Branded Content: Art Direction
● SoulPancake won for “Class of 2019” in Series: Non-Scripted
● Apartment Therapy won for “The Journey Home” in Campaign: Business-to-Consumer
● American Documentary won for “America Reframed: Intelligent Lives” in Diversity & Inclusion
● Smithsonian Channel won for “America in Color: Coming to America” in Use of Archival Footage
● PBS won for “For Sama – Featurette” in Documentary
● NASA/Hubble won for “NASA’s Incredible Discovery Machine: The Story of the Hubble Space Telescope” in Use of Archival Footage
● Sony Music Entertainment won for Jeff Buckley’s “Sky Blue Skin” music video in Non-Broadcast: Art Direction
● Culture Trip won for “Send It Worldwide – Culture Trip x GoPro” in Cinematography
● Accenture won for “Health Tech Innovation ” in Direct Marketing
● AJ + won for “Locked Up For Being Poor” in Documentary: Series
● BBC Reels won for “Do We Have Free Will?” in Online: Documentary Series
● Sesame Workshop won for “I Don’t Want to Live on the Moon” in Children
● Great Big Story won for “Shine” in Webseries: Documentary
● Condé Nast Entertainment won for “RuPaul Answers Increasingly Personal Questions | Slow Zoom | Vanity Fair” in Directing
● Beauregard Media won for ”SHEROES” in Social Video: Sports & Leisure
● The Juilliard School won for “Bolero Julliard” in Social Video: Arts & Entertainment
● J. Paul Getty Museum won for “Getty Unshuttered Artists” in Public Service & Activism
● Malala Fund won for “Malala Fund’s ‘Roll Call’” in Not-For-Profit
Created remotely in just twelve days, these are eight original stories of real people making their businesses work right now.
The best types of hard drives for all stages of video production
by Kate O’Connor Morris
One of the major risks in the world of video content is The Great Fear: Losing all your work. If it’s not backed up properly, an entire shoot can be a total wash. The good thing is, we now have tons of tech options and practices that can duplicate and save valuable work.
We reached out to Larry O’Connor, Founder and CEO, of storage solutions powerhouse company OWC, to help us gather the right hardware for every type of video situation. Read on for Larry’s best practices for storage and his recommendations for keeping your project safe every step of the way.
A brief glossary of hard drives
Hard disk drives (HDD) are the most common and recognizable storage devices used by computers and external drives over the past several decades.
Solid state drives (SSD) are similar to the HDD, but use flash memory with no moving parts inside.
Non-Volatile Memory Express (NVMe) is a communication standard specifically built to optimize flash technology performance to deliver faster SSD performance via PCIe.
OK, onto the gear
With all the key details that can make or break a project — script, casting, location scouting, equipment and crew needed — you need to make sure your “pre-pro” work is accessible yet protected. Save early and save often, and choose storage devices that are high-capacity and lower cost.
$119.00 — $479.00
Best for: Location scouting or off-site visits with clients
This sleek dust-proof, waterproof design fits into your pocket, making it both durable and versatile.
[READ MORE AT VIMEO’s BLOG]
Free Membership Sign Up
Check out our jobs board and find your next opportunity!