CURRENT MEMBER SPOTLIGHT
We are pleased to spotlight member Jay Miracle, an Emmy Winning editor, nominated director, writer and producer and winner of the A.C.E. Editing Award. With over 30 years of experience in Film and Television, Jay has worked with some of the greats and continues to follow his passion for filmmaking.
Jay is an active member of the Producers Guild and comes to the LAPPG with an impressive skillset of not only working above and below the line as producer, director and writer but also working as both a sound and film editor.
Jay Miracle studied sculpture at UC Berkeley and became involved in Bay Area feature production, which included Francis Ford Coppola (“Apocalypse Now” – as a Sound Editor), George Lucas (“Star Wars” – Assistant Editor to George and Marcia Lucas) and Milos Forman (“One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” – Assistant Editor to Milos Forman and Lynzee Klingman). In addition, Jay worked with renowned independent filmmakers: Werner Herzog (“Stroszek”), Erroll Morris (“The Gates of Heaven”), Jean-Luc Godard (“Action One”), and Wim Wenders (“Hammett”).
Jay worked as a documentarian for Malcolm Forbes on several of his balloon trips – including his birthday party in Tangiers – and moved to L.A., where he directed two productions at Theater 40. This led to work as a director of commercials for Propaganda Films and Satellite Pictures.
He has also directed, produced and/or written shows for:
– Discovery Channel (“Impostors”- a One Hour Documentary Special – Director/Writer/Co-Producer – Nominated for a Primetime Emmy)
– H.B.O. (“Playing with Fire”- a pilot for a Documentary, developed into a Dramatic Feature – Story – Starring Ray Liotta and John Leguizamo)
– Showtime – “Hearts of Darkness, A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse” – Feature Documentary – Editor – won a Primetime Emmy for Editing and the A.C.E. Editing Award)
– Liberty Entertainment (“American Midnight” and “Lost Lightning, The Stolen Secrets of Nikola Tesla” – 2 One Hour TV Specials – Director/Writer)
– A&E Biography Series (“Dick Powell, Thanks a Million” – Writer).
He recently completed: “Tea with Charles”, a Feature Documentary on the Academy Motion Picture Home and one of its residents: the legendary British Director Charles Jarrott.
He directed the Dramatic Feature: “Submission” – Starring Corbin Bernsen and Simone MacKinnon, and was Co-Producer on “Yellow Rock” – a period Western starring Michael Biehn and James Russo.
Jay Miracle’s LAPPG Experience: Jay says…”I’ve been coming to these monthly meetings from the very beginning and over the years I’ve found that it’s a great place for networking, exchanging information, and – most importantly – laughing at Woody’s jokes.”